Qualifying for Free Tax Preparation

Do you need help preparing your 2013 income tax returns?
Read the information below to see if we can help you through our local VITA, an IRS-sponsored program!

What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free tax help to people who earn less than $58,000. VITA helps working families take advantage of all of the tax credits they are eligible for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC) and education credits. Volunteers from the community help prepare basic, current-year tax returns for eligible taxpayers free of charge.

When can I expect a refund?
All eligible VITA tax returns are prepared and submitted to the IRS electronically by trained volunteers. If you will be receiving a refund and elect to have your refund direct deposited into a checking or savings account, you can anticipate receiving a check in seven to 10 days.

When can I visit a VITA site?
VITA Season: Many VITA sites will be open to serve our community beginning in mid-January 2014 through April 15, 2014. Indianapolis VITA sites will be located throughout the community with many offering evening and weekend hours.  Please call 2-1-1 for hours and location.

What do I need to bring to a VITA site?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:

  • Driver’s License or Photo I.D.
  • Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
  • All W-2 Forms
  • If filing jointly, your spouse must be present
  • copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
  • 1099 Forms (if applicable)
    • 1099-G Unemployment Benefit
    • 1099-INT Interest from your bank
    • 1099-R Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans
    • Account Numbers for electronic deposit of refund
    • Previous tax returns (if available)

Volunteers Needed!
Volunteers are needed to help us with our tax preparation services.   Please click here if interested:  http://indyscampaign.org/wp/?page_id=91

For more information on the VITA program, click here: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=107626,00.html